Jim is a British software engineer living & working in the San Francisco Bay area. He has been writing software since 1998, for platforms including Windows, macOS, iOS, Linux, and PalmOS. He’s specialized in Apple platforms since 2000, and has a lot of experience working with deep parts of the Mac OS. As a result, he was hired by Apple in 2013 to be part of the team that launched the Apple Watch the following year. While he’s mostly worked in software programming, Jim has a pair of books to his name, and has spoken at conferences on several topics, including engineering and electronic publishing.
- CA 95051, Santa Clara, California, United States
- [email protected]
- (669) 225-9536
- Worked on build system integration between Bazel and Xcode.
- Designed and implemented infrastructure APIs on the backend and for iOS clients.
- Designed and built a digital video appliance based on the original AppleTV.
- Implemented bespoke software to manage large amounts of media metadata and convert between different storage formats.
- Implemented the list/table UI components for the Apple Watch.
- Worked on data transfer between iOS and watchOS devices.
- Optimized performance and communication for the Camera Remote app on the Apple Watch.
- Created the original C++ Readium SDK, an ePub3 engine now used and redistributed by many companies, including Adobe as part of their Digital Editions platform.
- Served as technical advisor to the Readium board during its first year of existence.
- Led the team that built the Kobo eReader app for the iPad and iPhone.
- Headed the company's efforts with regard to the ePub3 standard.
- Official company liaison with the IDPF, and took part in the XML=SEC and CSS working groups at the W3C.
- Served as sole developer of the company's applications.
- Open-sourced a number of very popular libraries and components created during this time.
- Implemented a few white-box applications for the iPhone.
- Built out a custom Apple File Protocol client framework for Mac OS X.
- Hooked into the Mac OS X directory services implementation and the login/security flow.
- Implemented and later open sourced (https://github.com/AlanQuatermain/DynamicPatch) a runtime process extension and function patching implementation for OS X.
- Learned C and C++ on the job, working on Palm and Windows.
- Designed and implemented an OLE-based automation system to communicate with and control Microsoft Office applications.
- Worked on the UI and operating system of a bespoke hardware gesture-based tablet device, nine years before the launch of the iPad.
- Fluency: Native speaker
- Fluency: Limited working proficiency
- Software Engineer
- Level: MasterKeywords:
- Operating Systems
- Level: MasterKeywords: